What's in a Substance?
Atoms, Molecules, Compounds and Elements
Elements and the Periodic Table
Things you need to know;
- There are about 112 different kinds of atoms known, 92 occur naturally, the others are made by scientists
- These different kinds of atoms are called elements.
- The thing that tells you which element you have is the number of protons in the nucleus. This number is called the atomic number of an element.
- All the atoms of one element have the same number of protons and electrons though they can have different numbers of neutrons
- The elements are arranged in a special table called the Periodic Table originally devised by Dimitri Mendeleev
Resources that will help you
Tasks you need to complete (if not already done)
- Catch up up writing up any unfinished experiments and
- The Homework Activities &
- The Journal
October 14, 2011
Hands On Lab
- Digging Deeper Elements quiz (Use one of the online Periodic Tables to help you)